Sunday, November 2, 2008

All 88 AZ Stakes have Conference

Justin and I just returned home from an awesome conference where Elder Bruce Hafen, Elder Jay Jensen, a sister from the General Primary Presidency and Elder Boyd K Packer spoke.
I normally don't enjoy the satellite too much but today it was awesome. One of my favorite parts happened while we were singing the rest hymn. As we were singing, the words came into my mind that all members of the church in AZ we standing at the same time, singing together as one united body, as one united force for good! A tear began to fall as I felt the strength and power of all 88 stakes united together. The royal army was assembled today.
All talks were good. Elder Hafen talked about consecration. He said we have 3 types in the church: the inactive, the active and the consecrated. He said that the church would drastically change if only 3 or 4 families per ward would consecrate themselves to the gospel. Wow! He also talked about the honor we have in AZ of being blessed with 3 more temples. He said we need to take this time to prepare those members of our families and our friends to be able to attend the temple dedication and the temple after that. Some referred to Prop 102 and Prop 8 and why we should vote for marriage. Elder Packer did a great job talking simply about why marriage is important. As he closed he said that things were going to change and change drastically as we know them. He instructed that we stay close to family and not fear.
Coincidentally, I received a call yesterday from our Stake PR person asking if I would stay after the adult meeting and talk to a new member that was having problems with the marriage prop. I was happy to do so and after the meeting, the McClures were standing with us when asked to begin the discussion. It was so awesome to do missionary work again! The spirit was so strong as Bishop McClure started related stories from his life that perfectly aligned with hers. It was just a coincidence that he was standing there. He was the bishop of the ward that she is in and he invited her to come to him anytime. I just bore testimony to her that God is real and that he knows her and that she just needs to pour her heart out to him. I told her she must strengthen her testimony and her relationship with God so as times get tough, she will be solid. She began to cry and we all began to cry and it was a beautiful special moment. I am grateful that I was invited to help.

6 comments:

Lisa Tucker said...

Gwen, I felt the same thing. It was amazing.

Trevor and Lauren said...

Awesome mom! Awesome!
That is so cool that you were able to be there for that lady as well as the McClures.
Thanks for posting that, it really is interesting that we are all a pare of.
Love you!

Bert and Kelli Millett said...

I loved conference, too. And, I loved having you and Justin at dinner last night. We need to do that more often. I passed along your Lyal Millett story to Bert's grandpa. Thanks for sharing that with us and the Millett family.

Cindy said...

Great notes. Thanks for sharing.

Natalie said...

At times like this I wish I were 90 years old (thus near the end of a long lived life). I'm scared for what is ahead.

Susan said...

I loved conference too! When Elder Packer said drastic change is coming, I thought I hope I'm ready. Loved your story you told me today and then seeing it in writing was great. Thanks Keifer and Justin for all your hard work with the signs! Oh, one more thing I didn't even recognize you and Rita in your Halloween costumes, they were great!