Sunday, November 22, 2009

in Laie


Bob came in last night but while we were waiting we shopped until we dropped! Lauren, Trevor and I went to the Ala Moana shopping center. We were doing some birthday shopping for Lauren. For those of you who used to frequent the Ala Moana back in the day, there has been some big changes! As the sign says, "50 years"! It is a huge mall now with every shop you can think of. Of course in Hawaiian style they had a live band playing in the center court and Christmas decorations out. They had poinsettia stuck in all the tropical plants-different-but beautiful........many memories of that shopping center!

As we drove in, it reminded me of an experience I had while going to school in Hawaii in 1980.

My friend Verna and I had taken the bus to Ala Moana to shop on a Saturday. We shopped all day, had a great time and had to run to catch the final bus of the evening. We hopped on a bus as we continued visiting about the fun we had during the day. As the bus continued to go we didn't recognize the area we were in but didn't think much of it because we weren't all that familiar with the island. Suddenly the bus stopped and the bus driver said, "girls this is the final stop. You need to get off." We answered, "but this isn't where we are going!" He said, "I'm sorry you need to get off. I can't take you any further." Verna and I got off the bus and looked at each other and said what do we do? We were dropped off in a grassy area under a street light. There was nothing around us, no landmarks, no houses, no humanity. We sat there for a while and then it began to start getting dark. We then decided we had to pray. We prayed for help and to figure out what to do. We sat there for a little bit and then a family is a stationwagon drove up to us. They asked if we went to BYUHawaii and we said we did. They then asked if we were lost and we said we were. Then they told us to get in the car and they would take us home. I still remember the dad's attitude of "those silly girls". They gave us a ride back to campus and we were so grateful. To this day, I have no idea where we were but I absolutely know that the Lord was watching out for us silly college girls and sent that family to protect us. I can never deny the Lord hears and answers our prayers!

No comments: